A decent bit of gardening work has been going on here, with a bunch of posts on the G+ page.
I particularly wanted to replace the dead thyme and get some more sage planted, so I gave into temptation and ordered a bunch of mostly herb plants from a couple of eBay shops early this week. The first batch arrived today, with no spare pots for their new homes.
So, I had to go out in search of more pots. I had meant to do that earlier in the week, but pretty much everything but that ended up happening. 🙂 Having scoped out availability and price several other places, I ended up going back to Poundland, which tends to have a decent stock of not-so-huge planters.
I was hoping to get all pseudo-terracotta colored pots to match the ones already out there, but the green ones were all they had in boxes that size. For £1 rather than the £4 I found similar elsewhere, mixing things up some is A-OK. 😉
The stacking tiered planters were a particularly good find. Not too long ago, I was struck by what a good idea a similar one was at my little garden in japan, which they found at a 100 yen store. So, I peer back into the corner space behind a huge column (grrr) where Poundland had hidden their pots, and what do I find today?
The 100 yen store ones were more attractive, but these look a bit larger–and I was very glad to find some! They also had in some bigger four-lobed ones, but I thought this would do nicely for now. It seemed like an excellent solution for some herbs, including the several kinds of thyme still expected in the post. It’s hard to see in that shot, but there is a decent bit of root space in the middle with that design.
I was tired enough by the time I got home that I texted Mr. Patio to let him know it had been declared Takeaway Night for supper–but, of course, I still had to mess around with the shiny new goodies. 🙂
The marked drainage holes didn’t look like enough, especially since they were all in the center, with a ridge between them and the lobes. So, I punched some extra holes in the bottom of each lobe. Go go handy utility knives Mr. Patio picked up from Clas Ohlson. And I feel obliged to say: please don’t do stupid things with a sharp knife and let all your blood leak out, OK? 🙂
I only planted one tier of it today, with the lemon thyme and salad burnet that arrived today. Not that it will likely make much difference after they’ve had a while to grow out, but I purposely angled them toward the outside. Not sure yet what wants to go in the remaining lobe–or, indeed, the other tiers–but, that can wait.
It will be a while before one or more of these orange thyme (Thymus ‘Fragrantissima’) seedlings is ready to go in there. 🙂
Another thing I couldn’t resist picking up at/rescuting from Poundland: a tiny Geum ‘Lady Stratheden’. I had never grown that variety before, but enjoyed ‘Mrs Bradshaw’ (with red rather than yellow double flowers). Much showier than the wild kind that’s all over the place here, and it should put out tons of blooms all summer.
I was tempted by a couple of other perennials which were still in decent shape, but yeah, limited space.
Since those like the same sunny, dryish conditions as the other things that are going to live in the tiered planter, I was tempted to chuck it in there as well. But, not only is it fairly upright, with the kind of taproot I remember them growing, a deeper pot seemed like a good plan. So, I grabbed one of the squarish ones also bought today.
It looks tiny and a bit pathetic, but it should grow out just fine. Especially judging by the Coreopsis ‘Sunburst’ I bought there last year, in the same size pot.
I was about to forget about the lovage, but it went into the back of the raised bed, since it will get big and enjoys part shade.
I’ve never grown it before, but do enjoy the celery-like flavor in the mainly soups I’ve eaten it in–and look forward to trying it in other things. (A good post I ran across: Acquiring a taste for lovage)
That was all I could do this evening, worn out as I was from the trip out. Besides the lugging of bulky-if-light items, noisy crowded situations and I do not mix so well; a little gardening work was good to decompress. 🙂
Other things which have been going on out there, while I’m posting photos:
The lone columbine Diggity Dog did not manage to destroy is starting into bloom now. Only a single bud at the top of the plant has opened so far.
I really do need to get better at photography…
Also, it’s definitely molting time for the wood pigeons and collared doves. We have a pair of each who visit the feeding station up on the patio wall, and I’m not sure who shed this down feather on the Jasminum beesianum. But, oddly enough, it’s stayed there for days in spite of some fairly strong breezes.
Yesterday, I finally got a six-pack of mixed ‘Liberty Classic’ snapdragons (impulse-bought at Tesco) planted out. They should be a fairly tall variety, which is fine by me. I may end up needing to thin them out, but I also planted some more morning glory seeds next to the wall behind them; no sign of germination yet with the first batch.
Also, the first crop of radishes I planted in the covered tomato bed are starting to make, erm, radishes. 🙂 I haven’t harvested any of the greens because I thought it might slow down the root growth. Still a little while to go yet, but I will be glad to get them out of the way to make room for the other tomato plant set to go in there.